Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility




Our district has programs for any child with special needs, from birth to age 22. We coordinate efforts with local agencies to seek out students with special needs, including students in private schools, highly mobile students, migrant students, homeless students, students who are wards of the state or students who are advancing from grade to grade but are suspected of having a disability. Anyone in the community who knows of a child with exceptional needs should contact their neighborhood school or the district Special Education department.

Families who suspect that their student may have special needs should consult with the principal or resource specialist at the child’s school about special education and the referral process. Before a child can receive services, an assessment of the child’s needs must be conducted with written parental consent. Staff at the school will assist the family and the student and determine whether a special education referral, assessment and/or services are necessary. To schedule an assessment, contact the resource specialist or principal at your neighborhood school. (EC § 56301-56303 and 56321)

Special Education Complaint Procedures

Federal and state laws provide that any individual, public agency or organization may file a written complaint with the state superintendent of public instruction alleging our district has failed to follow laws governing special education and related services.

If a family believes that their child’s special education program rights may have been violated, they are encouraged to contact the Special Education department. The family may also contact the California Department of Education Complaint Division. All complaints must be in writing. (CCR Title 5, § 3080)

Amador County Unified School District
Translate »